I made a shirt! Well, I made a wearable muslin of a shirt, which is almost the same (I’ve yet to wear it out of the house though…) It’s a bit of a mishmash of well made – flat felled seams everywhere – and terribly – ok, that’s mostly just the collar and collar stand, everything else is happy enough.
This shirt has been on my sewing list for months. I first had the idea in January, and my sister gave me the pattern for my birthday around that time, but it took a very long time to reach the top of my sewing list – although in May Gillian also dared me to do it by the end of June. I finally cut it out around then, and sewed up much of it in June, but the cuffs were the wrong size for some reason so it got put on the back burner for another month, in favour of projects that would listen to me and do what I wanted, and I finally finished it in July. It’s not the middle of August, so it’s been done a couple of weeks, but I’ve been kinda busy the last week or so, and my spare time has been either actively sewing or practising music. I played at church this morning, and needed to spend some time brushing up on pieces.
Anyway, here’s the shirt.
I’m not entirely sure how I feel about this. It’s pretty well fitted – it needs a very slight full bust adjustment, and lowering the darts, but that’s the only fit problem. In terms of wear, I think it’s a bit formal for my lifestyle (though this may change next year, since I’ll be spending most of my time in the hospital), although if I had a slightly less formal skirt to wear it with – I’m thinking a half-circle, perhaps – it’d decrease the problem slightly. As a shirt in isolation, though, looking at the photos you can’t see the collar problems I’m worrying about, so it’s fine I think. I love the shaping in it, and the Sewaholic pear-shaped thing – it’s nice to have something actually fit my measurements for once. Though I could do with more of the shaping being in the back princess seams, and less in the side seams.
You can see how much it’s bunching up at the back waistline here. You can also see how good the flat felled seams look at a distance. I spent a lot of time angsting over those seams, they are definitely part of why this took so long, so I’m glad they made a difference (although next time I’d go for french seams, I find them so much easier and almost as attractive. Actually, next time I might choose not to do a fancy seam finish on my wearable muslin…
The gaping at the bust is a bit frustrating – I thought I’d cleverly managed to have a button at the level of my bust apex, but I must have tried it on with a weird bra or something. I’m kinda confused by this, because the one I’m wearing for these photos is the one I normally fit things in. I’ll work on that for next time.
And a few detail shots – there’s lots of details to look at in a shirt!
I think that’s all from me! Happy sewing.